It was Monday, December 3. The time was approximately 9pm. I was sore. We had just done a monster of a workout at the gym earlier…sled push, triceps, swings, ropes, push-ups, hurdles, etc. I flinch just thinking about it. My shoulder was sore especially, but the Playground Bullies had a championship to win and I was ready to protect my Quarterback. The game went by, play by play. Each team matching the other. It was intense. Halftime we were up by 6, I decided to stretch out my shoulder. It was the last drive of the game. It was that fluke moment when all the world collides just perfectly and that is when I heard it. It sounded like when I got my tooth pulled in July. It felt like a car coming to a halt with no break pads. It was not pleasant. When I moved of the field, I thought it was my elbow, my neck, heck I didn’t know, it was just hurting. It felt like a nail was being hammered in from my shoulder joint and up through my elbow. It was a partial tear in the rotator cuff when all was said and done. Now what? I did what any sensible person would do, one armed mountain climbers, shuttle runs, knee to elbows, flutter kicks, and jumping jacks.
Yes, my shoulder was a bit sore after this, but with a little ice and TLC later, I was glad I did it and it was doctor approved. After 10 rounds of this, then some abs and such, I was one pooped pup. This was also the second day I decided to do major work-out after the shoulder.
As the days turned into nights, I felt a little better each day, until it happened. It was 4 am. I woke up in a wave of heat and coughing fit. Finally after 45 minutes, I fell back asleep. Then I woke up in a puddle of sweat. Yay, fever broke. Or so I thought. The next 3 days turned into day after day of fever, no fever, fever, coughing fit, no fever… I figured this was my bodies way of telling me to take it easy. So sleeping all weekend long is what I did. I wanted to be refreshed for the new week.
I am still not feeling up to 100%, but after discovering Burt’s Bees Lemon and Honey Cough Drops, cool showers, and lots of water something came over me. My sudden craving for grapefruit. I have never had grapefruit in my life, but all weekend long, all I have wanted was fruit and veggies and water. I sipped on some chicken broth when I wanted. Justin made it quite clear that I needed to keep eating and eat healthy. This bit of advice led me to something, I LOVE GRAPEFRUIT!
I’m sorry, I may be acting a little bit extreme with my new found fondness of the Valencia (is it a Valencia?) My point is that maybe this little bout of bronchitis/flu (the world may never know) that I am experiencing is to teach me one thing. My body will crave the nutrients it needs. So here are my flu season tips:
Your Body Is Craving Nutrients
- When you are sick, your body needs all the energy it can acquire. Stick with foods that are fresh and natural. Think of fruits, vegetables, oats etc.
- Try to eat at least maintenance calories or slightly over maintenance. Your body will have a better chance of restoring itself.
- Eating lots of fruit will help rehydrate you as they are full of water and vitamins.
- I juiced a lot this weekend. My juice of choice was: kale, cucumber, apple, and a we bit of orange juice. All fresh. Not the sugary kind. If you are in Lafayette there is a place called Body Plus in Parc Lafayette that makes wonderful juices.
- Drink, drink, drink your water. I kept a case by my bed and by my couch…seriously, it looks like a bottling factory blew up in my house.
Eat at Least Your Body weight in Grams of Protein
- Eating protein along with fresh fruits should sit well on the stomach. I do not advocate eating protein only as this could cause more stomach complications.
- This is where I could have done better, but felt a world of help when I finally did. I stuck with grilled chicken breasts torn apart and thrown in the chicken broth or sliced turkey. It was all light and didn’t make me cringe.
- This is a great time to catch up on movies. I watched, Love Actually (best Christmas movie), Layer Cake, Many a lifetime movies, not to mention my DVR has been cleared out.
- DO NOT try to be Captain America and workout when you are sick. Please note, that once the fever started, I have not been back in the gym till it is gone. So you know, even though it is the “season to beast” I gots to take care of number 1.
Till next time, when we go through the insides of my awesome, smelly gym bag.
lifetimes of paper rainbows…W
You can follow my little adventure on twitter and insta.gram. Username: @whitlgarland Hashtag: #heregoeseverything Also if you are on My Fitness Pal, I would love to follow each other! My username is whitlgarland.